Graham E. Sutliff grew up in San Angelo, Texas in a family of six. From an early age, in this close-knit West Texas town, he learned the value of hard work, determination and fighting for what is right. Graham and his now partner Hank, who became friends at age four, found an early interest in the law by playing in the halls of the Tom Green County Courthouse. As a young man, his interest in the law continued to grow and he set out to find a way to use this passion to help others.
At the University of Mississippi, after receiving his undergraduate degree in Business Administration and graduating summa cum laude, Graham went on to pursue a law degree. His commitment to his studies paid off once again as he graduated from law school, summa cum laude, at the top of his class.
Upon graduating, Graham began his legal career in the Austin litigation section of Vinson & Elkins. There, he represented a diverse client base ranging from Fortune 500 companies to small businesses to private citizens. His practice included personal injury, securities issues, contract disputes, and everything in between. While at Vinson & Elkins, Graham had the privilege of practicing law among some of the top litigators in the United States.
In 2008, Graham and Hank co-founded Sutliff & Stout PLLC to protect the rights of individuals facing the daunting task of litigating against big insurance companies and corporations. Throughout his career, Graham has remained committed to upholding the values instilled in him from an early age – hard work, determination and fighting for what is right. Graham has successfully tried jury and non-jury trials in both state and federal court. On a daily basis, he sees the physical and emotional impact that others’ carelessness has on his clients and their loved ones. Graham’s greatest satisfaction comes from ensuring that his clients and their families get the representation, and ultimately, the justice they deserve.
- Successfully settled lawsuit seeking over $1,400,000.00 for $0.00. The Plaintiff’s lawsuit alleged fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, unjust enrichment, and breach of contract.
- Obtained $1,153,844.00 judgment for breach of contract at the summary judgment stage.
- Obtained complete dismissal of lawsuit (involving seven causes of action) against Fortune 500 client at the summary judgment stage. The dismissal was upheld on appeal.
- Successfully collected $850,000.00 for breach of contract and fraud judgment.
- Assisted in litigation representing contract manufacturer in lawsuit involving fraud and breach of contract claims arising out of the sale of wafer manufacturing equipment
- Assisted in federal jury trial on behalf of insurance company against Texas Securities Act, Fraud, DTPA, and Texas Insurance Code claims arising out of sale of variable annuities
- Successfully represented publicly traded engineering firm in litigation alleging tortious interference with contracts and alleged prospective contracts
- Obtained favorable settlement for Chief Executive Officer who was fired from his employment. The employer originally refused to honor the CEO’s severance package.
- Obtained complete dismissal of former employee’s lawsuit seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars. The lawsuit alleged breach of contract, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress against the employer.
- Successfully settled lawsuit seeking approximately $14,000,000.00 for under $5,000.00.
- Successfully represented client before the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Commissioners on permitting issues
- Obtained favorable settlement for client in enforcement action brought by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Assisted in successful week long bench trial representing defendants alleged to have infringed patent. U.S. District Judge Davis found that all claims of patentee were invalid as anticipated and obvious.
- Assisted in representing major computer manufacturer in multi-million dollar lawsuit alleging computer manufacturer infringed patent
- Obtained favorable settlement for creditor prior to conclusion of bankruptcy trial involving a debtor who refused to relinquish control of creditor’s equipment valued at over $1,400,000.00.
Securities Litigation and Enforcement
- Successfully represented technology company in SEC formal investigation
- Successfully represented technology company in numerous derivative lawsuits alleging options backdating
Internet and Media Litigation
- Obtained complete dismissal of lawsuit filed against online social networking website involving alleged sexual assault against one of its users
Eminent Domain Litigation
- Assisted in jury trial for owner of an office building in the State’s taking of a strip of land, resulting in net recovery to client of over $1,600,000.00.
Pro Bono Litigation
- Obtained favorable settlement prior to trial for plaintiff in predatory lending lawsuit
- Obtained favorable settlement for plaintiff in fraud and Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act action prior to litigation
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
Education and Professional Background
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D. summa cum laude
- University of Mississippi, B.B.A. Banking and Finance summa cum laude
- Admitted to practice: Texas; U.S. District Courts for the Western, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of Texas; Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals; Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
Activities and Affiliations
- Staff: Mississippi Law Journal
- Member: Mississippi Moot Court Board; College Republicans
- Austin Bar Association; Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association